Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Quitting devialet, going Pass Labs
(17-May-2018, 00:35)burgundy Wrote: so after a year of using Devialet D200, I am not really satisfied with the dynamics.  Don't get me wrong, Devialet is very convenient.  1 box solution with a great DAC.  
I heard a friend's Jadis tube amp.  Even with 60W, it has great dynamic, plus the warm sweet tone that you expect from a good Class A tube amp.  
I don't want to go tube, and I heard great things about Pass labs.
Thinking about switching.  In fact, I am pretty sure about it.
Anyone has similar experience?
I use a Dev200 and recently changed from Atohm GT1 speakers to a pair of Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers.  It was a fabulous upgrade, especially considering that the Atohm GT1 speakers -- despite being bookshelf speakers -- were no slouches.  In both cases, I decided to only buy speakers that had SAM ability, as I think that's a key differentiator for Devialet, at least on some speakers.  I would agree with Damon that speaker selection can affect the way you view the dynamics of the Dev200.

For me, I am still firmly in the Devialet camp, due to invested cost and lack (for me) of a clear alternative.  One of the key factors for me was Roon integration with Devialet Air.  That changed my listening experience and fully realized my source use to Ethernet while providing a wonderful GUI.  I am a happy camper, though I must say I am hugely disappointed that Devialet has decided not to continue to upgrade the Expert line software. One must go Expert Pro to realize the new software upgrade path, unless I am sorely mistaken.  Poor customer support to its installed base.

So that moves me to your decision and a thought: if I were to move to different amplification, I'd probably consider a Vinnie Rossi LIO, a "super integrated" as Vinnie calls it with a 10-year warranty.  It's geared toward customization, so you only pay for those modules that you need (phono stage, DAC, headphone amp, etc.)  Plus, you may add tubes to warm up the sound if you wish, combining Vinnie's tube-gain stage with his lauded transistor-current amp.  Also, due to its unique amplification, you'll never need aftermarket power cables, power conditioners, etc.  Read the audio press and you'll find the LIO is a veritable Swiss army knife solution.  I had some early products from Vinnie when he authored the Red Wine Audio line.  He's not only an innovator but he's also customer-oriented, so you'd never have a problem with him not delivering on his promises.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Quitting devialet, going Pass Labs - by Flashman - 17-May-2018, 12:46