Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SToM 200 ULTRA vs Devialet AIR (WIFI)
(30-May-2018, 08:28)PeppaPig Wrote: Hi guys, 

I am in the process of choosing streamer (or stay with the CI functions) for my Devialet

Q1: anyone had experience comparing 200Ultra with the Devialet AIR on Laptop via WIFI? Which is better?

Q2: does anyone experienced significant SQ improvement by using a good external streamer? I think the DAC and PreAMP should matter the most, streamer should have tiny to do with SQ? If you have experienced huge improvement by adding a external streamer, what's the streamer?

Hi PeppaPig,

Ad. 1:
For over a year I've hed SOtM sMS-200 (basic version). I was wery happy with it - fast, coheretnt, detailed sound. Not particularly musical, with noticable "digital coating", with rather "simple" soundstage and short bass extension. However, it was stable (soft, control app - iPeng), precise and dynamic. With new bespoke, strong power supply (IMO: must option) SOtM played much better.

At the beginning of this year I decided to make a step forward and ask my dealer for new sMS-200Ultra version. Trust me - after a year I had a substanitial experience with setting SOtM (LMS, iPeng, etc) but... I could not make it with Ultra. The soft itself is dramatically unstable (LMS hung up a few times a day, it does not display covers or even its own system icons !!!). The SQ differences are noticable but IMO the price (4X with PS) not justified.

Ad. 2:
USB transports play flat, digitally, artificially and hard with Devialet. It concerns not only SOtM devices buy also Aurender and Auralic Aries Femto (USB), I also tested. I believe it is a matter of quality of USB modul implementation as well as the nature of this connection itself.

My recommendation:
I definitely suggest you to try AES/EBU link. It sounds much more musical / analog / 3D way. SPDiF is also very good - worth taking into consideration.
In case of AES/EBU transports I strongly reccomend dCS Network Bridge or Moon Neo Mind (which is nearly on the same level in terms of SQ but less expensive). Auralic Aries Femto (also equiped with AES/EBU socket) is slightly less interested (Moon is "deeper" and "denser") but also worth consideration.

I've chosen Moon (bought in April) and I still cannot believe how good player it is. Excellend sound and build, rock stable soft, acceptable control app (quick, stable but could be more intuitive). Give it a good AES and power cables and you will love it. 

As for AIR connection:
AIR is OK but good transport shows a big difference in terms of SQ. Day-to-day handling is a completely different story. 

Reg, Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: SToM 200 ULTRA vs Devialet AIR (WIFI) - by MIKE - 30-May-2018, 11:32
RE: SToM 200 ULTRA vs Devialet AIR (WIFI) - by MIKE - 30-May-2018, 18:36
RE: SToM 200 ULTRA vs Devialet AIR (WIFI) - by MIKE - 30-May-2018, 23:58
RE: SToM 200 ULTRA vs Devialet AIR (WIFI) - by MIKE - 31-May-2018, 19:50
RE: SToM 200 ULTRA vs Devialet AIR (WIFI) - by MIKE - 30-May-2018, 18:58