Tools for library management?
Hi All

What tools/applications you use to:

- Manage your digital library?
- Lossless CD Ripping?
- House keeping tags and album art?

Please state Mac or PC

thanks
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I have a Mac, and use:
  • Max or XLD for CD ripping
  • Yate for tagging
  • iTunes for library management
In the past I've also used Jaikoz for tagging, but got fed up with frequent upgrades that often "forgot" my preferences. Yate is a Mac-only program that's easier to use. There's some overlap with tagging features in both Max and iTunes, of course. I've also used CoverScout as a tool for finding cover art, but that's now covered by Yate.

Although I've listed iTunes as a library manager, I very rarely use it to play music from my library; I tend to do that almost exclusively through the Sonos UI. So in effect iTunes is not much more than a repository for the music files.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-Nov-2014, 19:22)thumb5 Wrote: I have a Mac, and use:
  • Max or XLD for CD ripping
  • Yate for tagging
  • iTunes for library management
In the past I've also used Jaikoz for tagging, but got fed up with frequent upgrades that often "forgot" my preferences. Yate is a Mac-only program that's easier to use. There's some overlap with tagging features in both Max and iTunes, of course. I've also used CoverScout as a tool for finding cover art, but that's now covered by Yate.

Although I've listed iTunes as a library manager, I very rarely use it to play music from my library; I tend to do that almost exclusively through the Sonos UI. So in effect iTunes is not much more than a repository for the music files.

interesting, i will have a look on Yate. i currently use Kid3, it does the job, but is old fashioned and slow and i was trying to find a better alternative for Mac.

i assume that all your lossless library is ALAC to be able to use iTunes?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
Yes, sorry should have said: I rip everything to ALAC.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-Nov-2014, 19:28)thumb5 Wrote: Yes, sorry should have said: I rip everything to ALAC.

lucky u Smile i am stuck with a huge Flac library now and it is a tall order to encode everything to ALAC

Yate seems promising, thanks for the tip!

Dubai, UAE
I use XLD for ripping my CD's to AIFF, and converting FLAC files to AIFF.
For library management I use iTunes and Audirvana 2.04. Audirvana is not quite ideal for library management, but the sound quality is fantastic.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(28-Nov-2014, 20:15)Eddye Wrote: I use XLD for ripping my CD's to AIFF, and converting FLAC files to AIFF.
For library management I use iTunes and Audirvana 2.04. Audirvana is not quite ideal for library management, but the sound quality is fantastic.

I use Phile Audio (a Mac only tool) to rip CD to Flac and i am wondering if i am missing anything by not using the popular XLD?

Dubai, UAE
I'm not familiar with Phile Audio. XLD is free, and it checks your CD rips in the accurate rip database.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Thanks Eddye.

Dubai, UAE
Another vote for the excellent XLD for ripping and transcoding. EDIT: I use Metadatics for editing tags.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)