Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018
I have remembered another point that was made during one of the side meetings after the main talk.  This was relating to Devialet's initiative to provide fully active, speaker specific systems.  I was told that Devialet are currently in discussion with a number of speaker manufacturers regarding bespoke active amplification.  How this was explained to me was that speaker crossovers can only subtract from the signal, if the crossover function is performed by the Devialet, it can add, subtract, correct phase and so on.  So Devialet would liaise with the speaker manufacturer, establish from them the perfect "digital" version of the crossover for a given speaker, this is then programmed into a number of Devialet's to produce an active system.  I asked if this was one of the reasons behind the new 210 Pro dual mono, so tho provide a lower cost dual mono that might be used for tweeter duties in an active set-up.  Apparently this is not the case, with one issue at the moment being that the different model types cannot be "chained", so you cannot chain a 1000 Pro with a 440 Pro, for example.  This is why the Vivid set-up at Munich had 1000 Pro's with a D250 on tweeter duty.  In theory, using a 440Pro for the HF would be better, having more power and the benefit of dual mono, lower distortion etc.  

It was not mentioned which manufacturers they are talking to, other than Vivid as we already know, and KEF was also mentioned, but this is only because Joachim knows that I run the KEF Blade.  Apparently KEF are positive about this initiative.

Sounds very interesting, it also sounds very expensive!

Also, there have been a few posts about room correction.  Mathieu did make one comment about RC that has not been mentioned, it was something along the lines of if Devialet were to do room correction it would be a complete system.  So it looks to me that there is some concern about the wide variety of ways that convolutions could be  supplied, but a closed all Devialet system might work.  I am not an expert on the inner working of RC, but combined with ADH I can see some issued with how headroom is dealt with, how changes in sample rates are dealt with, how RC interacts with SAM, this kind of thing.  As stated by Ian earlier, it is clear that RC is not on the short term road map, but I came away with the impression that a complete Devialet RC system might be a possibility in the future.  But don't hold your breath, as the saying goes....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018 - by Confused - 13-Jul-2018, 12:48