Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018
After some quiet reflection, I think it might be useful to take stock and see where we are now.  In terms of those interested in room correction and those who think it should be prioritised now, I think this leads us to an interesting and subtly different question.

First to say that I genuinely agree with pretty much everything @Hifi_swlon wrote in post #103, plus, I think @David A misinterpreted my earlier post slightly (my post was written with some slightly obtuse language), but no problem here, David is correct we can have the full benefit of Roon PEQ and convolutions together with Devialet sound quality now using Roon AIR, we are actually agreeing I think!  This reminds me of a point made by Mathieu Pernot during the original presentation at OAC.  Mathieu was talking about Roon RAAT versus AIR, stating that he did not see these two as rivals in any way, rather they were complimentary.  Personally I see this as good news, I know that Roon RAAT is very good, offering excellent sound quality and stability, but it is just for Roon.  AIR offers excellent sound quality together with far greater versatility, so they serve different purposes.  Thankfully AIR is far more stable these days. Anyway, in terms of Roon's functionality, it works almost perfectly now with Roon integrated AIR, and with Roon RAAT coming soon, we can look forward to it working even more perfectly.  It was not long ago that a few people were saying things along the lines of "if only Devialet would add Roon RAAT it would be perfect", they had a very good point to be honest, and the good news it is here now. (Well, almost, in terms or RAAT)  As an aside, AirPlay was also mentioned in this context, with Mathieu stating that if you want the stream the sound from something with video content, then AirPlay is great, if you want the best quality two-channel sound, use something else, AIR, RAAT or UPnP.

OK - We know that Devialet are not prioritising room correction, so what are they prioritising?  We know the answer to this too, the primary focus now is on the functionality of the CI board, stability, adding Roon RAAT, Qobuz, Bluetooth, and so on.  There was vague talk in the past of adding room correction, but the Pro was sold with the promise of the CI board, and it is clear that Devialet's current focus is on delivering this promise.  Yes, it is taking some time, but stability is improving, bugs are being fixed and new features are coming.  What else do we know that is prioritised?  Going back to Thumb5's summary (Post#61) we know that they are working on a refreshed iOS app and an onboard configurator.

Jumping back to room correction.  Using Roon, I can set PEQ's on my iPad when sat in the listening position, I can switch between bit-perfect and Room correction convolutions on the iPad too.  If I want to change convolutions, it takes less than a minute on my PC in Roon's settings.  Via Roon the functionality is great, it is usable, it is intuitive.  If Devialet gave us room correction now, it would be a case of loading via an SD card, the IOS app would be useless for changing settings and there are not enough buttons on the remote to support everything.  So Roon's version would be fun, functional and intuitive, Devialet's version would probably just be frustrating and limited in usable functionality.  

So IF room correction is to be added to the Pro's, it would make sense that we had a better iOS app and onboard configuration first, one thing at a time, everything in a sensible order.

So looking at this logically, it looks like the priorities as we understand them now are absolutely correct, logical and sensible.  CI stability and functionality first, then the iOS app and configurator, with the last two being essential if room correction is to be practical and usable.

In time the CI board will be fully functional and stable.  The new IOS app and onboard configurator will be finished.

This then takes us to the big question.  What then will be the next priority?  This we do not know the answer to.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018 - by Confused - 14-Jul-2018, 09:19