Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018
(14-Jul-2018, 09:19)Confused Wrote:
First to say that I genuinely agree with pretty much everything @Hifi_swlon wrote in post #103, plus, I think @David A misinterpreted my earlier post slightly (my post was written with some slightly obtuse language), but no problem here, David is correct we can have the full benefit of Roon PEQ and convolutions together with Devialet sound quality now using Roon AIR, we are actually agreeing I think!  This reminds me of a point made by Mathieu Pernot during the original presentation at OAC.  Mathieu was talking about Roon RAAT versus AIR, stating that he did not see these two as rivals in any way, rather they were complimentary.  Personally I see this as good news, I know that Roon RAAT is very good, offering excellent sound quality and stability, but it is just for Roon.  AIR offers excellent sound quality together with far greater versatility, so they serve different purposes.  Thankfully AIR is far more stable these days. Anyway, in terms of Roon's functionality, it works almost perfectly now with Roon integrated AIR, and with Roon RAAT coming soon, we can look forward to it working even more perfectly.  It was not long ago that a few people were saying things along the lines of "if only Devialet would add Roon RAAT it would be perfect", they had a very good point to be honest, and the good news it is here now. (Well, almost, in terms or RAAT)  As an aside, AirPlay was also mentioned in this context, with Mathieu stating that if you want the stream the sound from something with video content, then AirPlay is great, if you want the best quality two-channel sound, use something else, AIR, RAAT or UPnP.

I've heard that the main benefit of RAAT is going to be the ability to stream to several zones rather than an improvement in sound quality. I only use 1 zone so I am not expecting big things from RAAT but from all reports its extremely stable and AIR has been less than extremely stable at times so there may be some benefit for me there. It's always handy to have a choice so I'm looking forward to it and seeing whether there is a difference in sound quality between it and AIR. Provided the data is conveyed accurately to the Devialet there shouldn't be a difference in sound quality but that doesn't mean it may not offer other functionality or convenience benefits.

(14-Jul-2018, 09:19)ogs Wrote: @David A The Signal path didn't show any of this unless the adjustment was in use (apart from volume). I did not discover it until several weeks after I got my amplifier back from the CI upgrade. Normally I do not use Signal path very often. Maybe you simply did not notice?
I think the 130 and 250 used the same streamer board so it is unlikely to be different between models. It can of course be a Roon change in AIR that affects this, but I tend to believe that Devialet has not yet implemented all feedback features in the AIR protocol on the CI so Roon is simply not receiving status from the device and there is nothing to display.
I posted a question on the Roon community about this some time ago. Unfortunately this was during the beta period for CI software. Someone raised the question of an NDA breach so I let the Roon mods remove my post. I may ask again as we are now on release versions of the CI firmware.

I don't check signal path all that often either so I may not have noticed, or I may have noticed and forgotten. I mentioned the possibility of the cause being a change in Roon while your amp was away for the upgrade given the frequency of Roon updates at various stages over the last year or so.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018 - by David A - 14-Jul-2018, 09:35