Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I upsample?
I think the beauty of Roon is that it allows you to try these things yourself very easily, and let your ears decide. My collection is mostly CD quality, but when I buy new music, I usually opt for the Hi-res version if it is available. I have tried various permutations, but in the end I have come back to leaving things as they are, and letting the Devialet handle such things. Since the D is going to upsample internally anyway, it seems a little perverse to do it externally first. Also, whilst bandwidth isn't particularly a problem with a wired Ethernet connection, it seems logical to think that the less data we stuff down the pipe, the less chance there is of something getting mangled.

I have a number of DSD recordings, and I prefer the SQ of those (sent as DSD64) to listening to the PCM equivalent (assuming the masters were not different) , but I did not find the same magic came through if I converted PCM to DSD in Roon. Similarly, I can't reliably say I notice any difference if I go from 44.1 to 176, but that's just my ears, my system. They all sound good to me.

Try it, and let us know what you think.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3

Messages In This Thread
Should I upsample? - by Will - 26-Jun-2018, 09:27
RE: Should I upsample? - by Zappydev - 26-Jun-2018, 10:41
RE: Should I upsample? - by zdenes - 26-Jun-2018, 18:19
RE: Should I upsample? - by Pim - 26-Jun-2018, 10:41
RE: Should I upsample? - by Will - 27-Jun-2018, 02:03