Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was a new DAC installed for the those who had an upgrade to Expert Pro?
Subjectively, I would say the Pro sounds like it has a superior DAC to the Expert. Finer details, more accurate bass, all this kind of good stuff. So in practical terms, taking the full ADH into account, the Pro does have a better DAC.

In terms of DSD, it should be remembered that the ADH core is inherently based on PCM architecture. So an ADH equipped Devialet could never run "Native" DSD. The best a Devialet can ever do is DSD via it's "MAT algorithm". This will currently accept DSD64, although I was told once that DSD128 is technically possible. (maybe the Pro could do more?)

At Munich, Devialet advised that MQA filters are "not compatible" with ADH, so the last "unfold" is not possible in a Devialet. (although it now turns out the last unfold is nothing but a filter and upsampling, and the Devialet upsamples everything to 24/192 anyway)

So to be blunt, if you are super keen to try DSD512 or run full MQA decoding, a Devialet Expert is not for you.

My view, since getting the Pro I have listened to few systems with very good DACs, Chord DAVE, dCS up to and including the dCS One and Vivaldi, and to my ears, the Devialet is in the same league. So depending on how you look at it and depending on what you want, the Devialet Expert Pro is either World Class state of the art kit, or behind the times and a brand to be abandoned. Choice is good.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was a new DAC installed for the those who had an upgrade to Expert Pro? - by Confused - 11-Jul-2018, 16:25