Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heresy, but here goes: Devialet to Lumin?
(19-Jul-2018, 13:09)Will Wrote:
(19-Jul-2018, 12:34)Flashman Wrote:
(19-Jul-2018, 02:53)Damon Wrote: @Flashman

I'm not able to talk about Lumin equipment, so I'm off topic pretty quickly. But.... some reviewers have commented that speakers like Vivid, or YG, can in fact be so precise that they do move away from a musical presentation. I'm not agreeing with that sentiment; just using it to support your own sense of the sound. But like Westminster's own man of mirth above, @Hifi_swlon, I agree that a cable change would be a good place to start. From my own limited experience, cables can 'tune' the sound of a system, and so I believe that you could get a bit of softness with different speaker cables, or other parts. I even think that the digital edge you hear would be related to the treble end of the spectrum, and that is (I think) the easier end to attenuate or adjust with cables.

As well, the Bluesound Node 2 is a decent product, a bit better than a stock Sonos Connect by the reports I've read. However, when I got a modded Sonos, the sound improvement was impressive. So, perhaps a different front end/ streaming source?

I think that many shops would lend out cables or bits from Aurilic or Aurender. I would definitely try the small, incremental steps first. And although you are handicapped by having 'only' a D200, you have a system that would certainly reveal any SQ changes that a cable change or streamer change yields.

Finally, I think the Pro upgrade is huge and wonderful, but I also accept that for some, it is not the SQ change they are after. That's a tough one to advise on.
@Damon Actually, I have a Bluesound Node 2 and use it as a front end through the Devialet for MQA files on Roon.  It actually sounds pretty good.  On the other hand, I've been using Roon/Devialet for non-MQA material and that's where some (not all) files can sound too digital.  I see, too, that you suggest a cable change.  I'll be thinking about that... Undecided
I suppose it comes down to individual listening preferences.  I used to use Bluesound Node as Devialet Air was so unreliable.  While I think that the SQ of Bluesound s good, I prefer that of Roon Air.  

As well as being a listener to recorded music (in digital format), I frequently attend classical music concerts (the ultimate analogue music!).  In my opinion, Roon Air is closer to the “real” experience - a more realistic soundstage - and yes, a bit more analytical in that you can hear the detail.
@Will Thanks for your feedback!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Heresy, but here goes: Devialet to Lumin? - by Flashman - 19-Jul-2018, 14:18