Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to reduce hiss with phono at high volumes?
(07-Oct-2018, 17:03)Dev_Steve Wrote: [quote='disarmamant' pid='78735' dateline='1538900523']
[quote='Dev_Steve' pid='78734' dateline='1538895105']
Admittedly this may be dumb question, but from my reading it sounds like you change the Expert Pro configurator settings to MM once you are working with the transformer. Is that correct?

Hi

Yes, that’s correct. The idea of the step up transformer is to provide a voltage step up at approximately the winding ratio of the transformer.

The voltage step up enables the phono stage in the Devialet to be used on the MM setting with the loading set to ‘High’ with a lower gain, approximately 40dB as opposed to to 60dB or more for the MC, hence lower noise.

I just looked at the Ortofon ST-80 SE. It should certainly do the job OK. The gain is given as 27dB which equates to step up ratio of just over 1:20. Your cartridge would see a reflected load of around 117 ohms with the transformer feeding the 47K ohm load of the MM phono stage which would be about right as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus

Messages In This Thread
How to reduce hiss with phono at high volumes? - by disarmamant - 07-Oct-2018, 17:29