Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
PeppaPigHi guys,

Hi PeppaPig:

I can provide my experience with sound quality input from a LINN Majik as a streamer and Apple Mac Mini duplicating that role.

In the case of the LINN Majik, I was streaming Flac ripped music and downloaded HD music from the Mac Mini, (operating as a music server), to the Majik which was connected via high-end component cables to a Devialet Pro 250. I used J-River as an example for file management eventually moving to LINN's Kazoo to manage my library.

I was very happy with the sound but took the bait of upgrading the Mac Mini with both the UpTone Audio MMK and then adding the JS-2 Linear Power Supply.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-li...wer-supply

I also replaced the spinning disk in the Mac Mini with a SSD drive. The MMK upgrade from UpTone controls when the fan comes on and I can say, I just do not hear it.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/mac-min...er-kit-mmk

With Devialet's USB input, I installed Roon on the mac Mini and my controllers, (iPhone, iPad's, etc), thus getting rid of the LINN Majik. Sound was delicious!

I admit that where others had Ethernet or USB issues, I never experienced them.

I am totally comfortable wiith the sound from the Mac Mini/UpTone PSU and MMK upgrade, along with the Devialet Pro 250.

I have custom built 92db speakers and feel I miss nothing from my music which touches on Orchestra, Rock, Blues and Country.

I have the Mac Mini connected to the 4K TV for video/Youtube via HDMI, now all Ethernet to the Devialet, (like it for ease of operation vs USB but do not feel I have lost anything).

I have the 4K TV feeding optically into the Devialet in case there is something I want to play through the stereo from the TV. Again, simple and clean.

Just a note, I do run a sub with my system which adds depth to the bottom 2 octaves and I have taken time to apply sound absorption panels as my sound room is 20 feet by 40 feet with cathedral ceilings. Been tough to get under control!

I see someone has communicated their experience with one of the dedicated audio servers and I am sure they meet and maybe exceed my system. Being in the second half of my 60's, I feel I am not missing anything but again, my ears are not what they were 20 or 30 years ago.

I am an audiophile from all the definitions I have read, maximize the quality of cabling for you analog signals, (speaker and component cables), just get the best you afford, everything that uses digital wires, (USB, Ethernet), forget the snake oil, it's packaged digital bits. Error correction fixes 99.999% of it. Jitter on our short cables just does not impact the signal. I have the USB Regen and do not use it as I did not hear any difference but then, at the same time, I moved to Ethernet data delivery to the Devialet so cauion that my testing was short term only.

Lastly is control. I run everything from my mobile or my iPad or when the wife comes in and wants to turn down the music, she goes for the controller. For when I am wanting to control the Mac Mini to play Youtube stuff, I have RealVNC loaded on a Macbook Pro and can sit on the couch playing what ever I can find on YouTube, audio to the Devialet, video to the 4K TV.

Sweet!

Ease of use is important, confidence/quality in audio playback is maximized. I'm happy!

Hope this helps in your research.

Cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uisng Mac Mini as streamer plus music server - by boba2013 - 31-Oct-2018, 05:33