Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
(31-Oct-2018, 13:31)PeppaPig Wrote:
(31-Oct-2018, 05:33)boba2013 Wrote: Hi PeppaPig

Yes, as mentioned, I have an excellent streamer in the LINN Majik. That was my initial streamer into the Devialet. I fed the LINN from a Synology NAS, (Ethernet and DLNA) and then into the 250 from the LINN via Interconnect cables. This allowed me to both play my FLAC music library as well as Internet based streams like Radio Paradise. LINN had an excellent audio library software product that was free and easy to use.

Obviously, the Synology had to be placed where the fan noise could be minimized and I ended up deciding to replace it with the Mac Mini. By that time, we were playing with JRiver and other software based library systems that would allow me to choose a input on the Devialet and then stream audio to it from that source.

Many software testings later, with products like ROON, I ended up taking the LINN out as a source and going directly from the Mac Mini into the Devialet.

I was able to compare initially USB, (with the Regen), from the Mac Mini which was my main feed into the Pro250 with the ethernet. Due to simplicity of running everything over Ethernet and hearing no reduction in quality of sound, I went that way actually quite soon after setting up the USB connection thus, will let others who have much more experience with USB argue their side.

For me it simplifies cabling and does away of the controversy of the USB Isochronous Audio Stream vs TCP packetized data streams over the Ethernet connection. USB Isochronous audio streams are able to do large data moves but the receiver only knows that a data packet is incorrect, (from jitter or other reasons), and cannot request a resend, vs in TCP, data streams are fast enough while providing error correction if needed.

I want to add that I have a single 8-port Ethernet switch connecting all the stereo equipment together and it is connected to the house router. All of the audio, TV and switch products are connected to large power conditioner which is intended to keep feedback/noise to a minimum. It allows me to control to some degree, grounding between all the electrical devices which I feel is important.

Let me ask you a question, why are you considering USB when you have excellent data transfer capabilities using Ethernet? Is there something that you feel is better served with a USB connection?

One last comment is that I feel the money I have spent on cables, over the years has delivered excellent sound for my enjoyment. I use Siltech Silver interconnects and speaker cables and do not feel I am losing anything in sound quality. There are those that would not spend the money these cables demand so I am not going to argue against investing in what you think it is best for you. If anything, it is the road we each travel to get to audio nirvana that is so much fun....and our Devialet's allow us a range of options for source data delivery!

Best of luck in your search and solution. Let us know what you end up going with!

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob. Have you tried to compare your mac mini with another other audiophile grade streamer? 

And you didn't found the USB Regen/ISO Regen help a little bit? I thought Mac mini's USB is quite noisy and should be benefit a lot from a regen.
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uisng Mac Mini as streamer plus music server - by boba2013 - 31-Oct-2018, 19:13