Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
I'm using Audioquest Vodka ethernet cables. I hear a difference between them and straight computer shop ethernet cables and I prefer the Audioquest cables but they're way more expensive than standard CAT5/CAT 6 cables and there are those who claim that ethernet cables can't make a difference. You have to make your own mind up on that one.

I went from the Mac Mini to the Antipodes and haven't used any other server so no other comparisons.

I suspect part of the difference between the Mac Mini and Antipodes in my system is network setup. The Mac Mini is in another room some distance away from the audio system. I was using an Apple Airport Extreme- to stream via wifi to another Airport Extreme next to the Devialet and connecting it to the Devialet via ethernet cable. When I got the Antipodes I put it in the equipment rack above the Devialet and connected it via ethernet to the Airport Extreme as well so that Airport Extreme was effectively acting as an ethernet switch between the Antipodes and Devialet giving a wired connection between the 2 of them. That may well have contributed to some of the improvement I heard when I went from the Mac Mini, which was also my home computer so it wasn't just doing server duties, to the Antipodes. I've since had a wired connection installed between the 2 rooms so it's now running ethernet cable all the way but it's standard computer CAT 6 cabling between the 2 rooms, not audiophile cabling, though I am using Audioquest cabling between the wall point and the Netgear switch that has replaced the Airport Extreme as the link between the Antipodes and Devialet.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uisng Mac Mini as streamer plus music server - by David A - 04-Nov-2018, 12:24