Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
(10-Nov-2018, 13:49)PeppaPig Wrote: Thanks @David A, appreciate for your long comments and it was very helpful to me. I was very busy last few days for work.

Part of the reason I want to use Mac Mini is I think mac mini has powerful CPU, and it should be easily handle ROON as well as other process in the Mac OS. I can't understand why running other application on Mac can impact sound quality, but while I can't understand it I still worry about it might impact the sound quality. A mac mini with i5 CPU, can easily process so many request with easy, I am not sure why it will generate noise. Another reason I like about mac is its relatively cheaper, it can act as server+streamer all in one.

So I want to get some idea from people who has experience with both audiophile streamer/music server and mac mini, can share their experience about sound quality difference, and how much difference. If its not a major difference , i probably just go for mac mini.

Peppa,

I've been using a Mac mini for years. I'm running Roon Core on it. It's got an i5 processor and 16Gb of memory. 128Gb solid state drive and the music sits on an external HDD. I use it to watch a bit of Netflix or the odd TV show repeat but it's not used for anything else.

It can't handle processing DSP in Roon very well. It doesn't take much to get it to drop out. On top of that, over tasking the processors can lead to bad sound quality as you can read about below.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Keep-you...uters-cool

I hope that helps.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uisng Mac Mini as streamer plus music server - by Pim - 10-Nov-2018, 21:38