Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server
(25-Dec-2018, 14:23)roestano Wrote: Hope this subject is still alive. I'm also on the verge of upgrading away from my standard mac mini 16gb/ssd. Reason I waited is that AIR (eth) actually is working fine on my D200. And there are opinions that  a high end streamer does not really add a whole lot to AIR sound quality.
So my thoughts are it's better investing in a good server, also because most of them can serve as a streamer as well! 
Then again, the AIR protocol seems to tackle issues with server/storage gear, does not it? That would make expensive NAS/servers obsolete. Plus I think I use Tidal 70% of the time. Though, if it really differs in SQ i am willing to spend time downloading the content to my drives.

The answer to that question will determine my upgrade path. Options I consider so far: Melco N1A, Bryston BDP-1/2, Innuos Zen(ith), Aurender N100H, Roon Nucleus.
I'm leaning towards the BDP-1 as it's pretty cheap now. I use a synology ds718 (and several external harddrives) as storage.

Anyone care to comment?

After using a Mac Mini I have bought an INNUOS Zenith, which I am still using. For the moment (once again) with ROON (trial licence) as a Roon Core. Very comfortable and without problems (but DSD files are not really possible with the Zenith as a core). I have used the Zenith before as an UPnP server, also without problems, but there is no software for that with a real good UI (the best one is MConnect m.o.). The Zenith is connected via USB to the Devialet. I think there are less other devices on the market with this possibilities.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using Mac Mini as streamer plus music server - by midi - 26-Dec-2018, 11:59