Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for Bi-amping using 440-Pro CI
(14-Nov-2018, 08:32)Devialetuser Wrote: You could Bi-Amp without the need of buying extra units. Use one 220-Pro CI for bass/midrange and the other 220-Pro CI for high frequency.

I am curious to find out why you think you would need to bi-amp? Many people believe that it does not provide much improvement over bi-wiring. Having read your PS Audio P5 post I would think you have reached the end game. Instead I would suggest if you are still seeking for higher SQ to go with 1000 Pro I am sure it will be a significant upgrade over Bi-Amping. However that is pure conjecture on my part as I have now compared the 440 Pro with the 1000 Pro.

Thank you for your suggestions & recommendations. I am a Bowers & Wilkins 800-series user for the last 28 years & have owned the Matrix 802, Matrix 801 & the mammoth Matrix 800 from 1990 till to-date. In 2015-16, I moved to the 802 D3 soon after its launch upon hands-on witnessing huge potential from these modern designs thus discarded my earlier B&W speakers. Bowers & Wilkins speakers comes alive when you bi-wire them and should you wish to push 'em to their max, they need to be bi-amped. 

By using one 220-Pro CI per speaker, with one channel for LF and the other channel for Mid/HF (as suggested by you), I would get approx 220 watts @ 6 ohms. These 802 D3s that I have require more power ... minimum one 440 watts @ 6 ohms for Bass and another 440 watts @ 6 ohms for the Mids/Tweeter. (If I had the finances right now, I would go with 4 X 250-Pro CI). 

Moving from my 440-Pro CI to the 1000-Pro CI would give me more headroom and I have tried the 1000-Pro in my setup but what I am looking for is absolute top notch SQ at low volume levels that ONLY bi-amping can provide ... 

Hence I am keen to figure out how this can be accomplished and the way to wire it up. 

P.S. Earlier with my Matrix 800, I had the mighty Symphonic Line Kraft 250 monoblocks x 4 driven by a FM Acoustics FM-255 MK2 preamp. Stupendous SQ but I have since then moved to the Devialet's one-box solution.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestions for Bi-amping using 440-Pro CI - by audio_engr - 14-Nov-2018, 15:33