Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£200 streaming option beats all comers upto £5K
Last Thursday evening I picked up the replacement NUC (I bricked the first one as described earlier) from the post office after which I set it up.

I first tweaked the BIOS settings, disabling everything not needed for the diskless NUC connecting to just the Mutec Mc-3 USB. This time I did not touch the video related settings and documented all settings and rebooting in between per category of settings.

Then I set up and tweaked AudioLinux Headless 0.6 after writing the boot image to USB stick. After everything was configured and worked OK I set up ramboot and then transferred the NUC internals into the Akasa Newton JC fanless case (very easy). By then it was too late to set it up in my system so I saved that and the first listen for Friday evening.

Chain:
DIY i7 6700T Server 2012/AO/Fidelizer Roon server with dual NIC. One NIC to my network and one NIC directly to NUC7PCJYH ->(usb) Mutec MC3+ ->(AES/EBU) D250Pro CI

Both Roon Server and NUC endpoint powered by the Hynes SR7 (as is the Mutec). Had to use a cheap 2.5 to 2.1 DC barrel to power the NUC. A better DC cable is en route to me from Ghent Audio.

First listening impressions: it sounded great but definitely no ‘Wow!’ moments like I’ve had many times in the past and described by some of the people on CA. Compared to the same chain with the SOTM Sms-200 in place the changes are more subtle. What I can hear is about the same tonal presentation just a tad more bright. I do think it’s more true to the recording, brighter recordings sound brighter others about the same. What I can appreciate in this is the cleaner/‘blacker’ soundstage in which I can hear instruments decaying longer and (even) more delineated. Also overtones/harmonics can be heard better which attributes to the realness of instruments. Background vocals are clearer as well.

I did not yet try AL on the i7 server, will do sometime in the near future.

The original recipe as described by Romaz did include a high-end switch between server and endpoint. I don’t have that yet but I’m very interested in Uptones ETHERregen as I think this will improve through isolation.

One caveat, I haven’t had the D250 Pro back (with CI) for very long yet and I think I heard the brightness before as well. In my non-CI I had removed the DUET WiFi card. Now there’s a completely new CI card inside the D250 running a Linux computer, new clocks etc. So to rule out what changed what I will, after listening more to the current setup, switch back the SMS-200 and see what changes.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands

Messages In This Thread
RE: £200 streaming option beats all comers upto £5K - by Antoine - 09-Dec-2018, 17:15