Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s your preferred connection?
No simple answer.

For a start, since you asked about connecting 3 different devices, you can't connect 3 devices in the same way since there are only 2 tousling inputs and 2 coax inputs and 1 AES/EBU input so you're going to have to use at least 2 different sorts of input to connect 3 devices.

Second, not all devices you connect have all of those outputs. Your choices for a particular device are limited by what the output choices on the device are unless you want to use an adapter of some kind between the device output and the Devialet input. I don't like using adapters but YMMV.

Third, not all connection types work for all input signal types. For example you can't send DSD over coax or optical as far as I know so if you're playing an SACD on a disc player and you want to send the signal in digital format to the Devialet you've got a problem because digital output from an SACD requires HDMI in most cases.

Since you're asking which one is best I'll start by saying one that works is the best and not every one of the 3 inputs you named will work for every source and data type.

So, assuming you've got a choice of inputs which work, which one is best? Well, each input requires a different sort of cable and cables make a difference in my experience so if you've got a couple of options and a cable that will work with each input, try them and see which one you prefer because there can be differences in sound quality from different inputs depending on the cables used and the quality of the different outputs on the same device, and different people prefer different sorts of sound so what you prefer may not be the same as what someone else prefers.

Basically, the answer is to try the different options you have for a given device and see which one you prefer. It doesn't matter which one I or someone else prefers, you don't want to satisfy me or someone else. You want to satisfy yourself. Since not all inputs are equal for a variety of reasons including differences in different source devices, not all inputs are applicable to every source device, and since your own personal taste play a part you really have no option but to try the options which work for yourself.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: What’s your preferred connection? - by David A - 11-Dec-2018, 04:46