Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General thoughts, cost/benefit of Roon Nucleus and Nucleus+
(12-Feb-2019, 11:21)Gerronwithit Wrote: Like yourself, I use Roon from a MacBook Air circa 2013 vintage. Obviously, Roon communicates with my Devialet over WiFi. I believe air have WiFi off on the Devialet but can’t currently confirm as a bug which I have reported to Devialet means I have all my historical configuration files but all are empty. I only have my configured SD card at the moment which is far from ideal. The Devialet is connected into my Sky router and my internet connection speed is approximately 40 mbps. I only use Tidal but Roon has happily picked up and plays all my historical iTunes acquisitions. I got fed up with NASs because no matter what redundancy they claim to have they still break down especially if it’s the control unit which happened to me twice. 

As many of my old CDs have been remastered several times, it became more sensible to access and collate everything through Tidal or Qobuz, which I have never tried. However, if you have ripped a large number of of CDs then you can keep them on a NAS and have a Roon nucleus access everything including any streaming services you might use. At the moment I am writing this on an iPad and can access Roon only as long as it is open on the MacBook Air, which is a pain. This is where I think an instantly accessible Nucleus might be good but am still trying to justify it to myself.  

My ‘stuttering’ and dropouts are virtually nil but that may at least be due to my fast internet speed and proximity of the Devialet to the router.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I essentially work off of my phone most of the day, but occasionally need to draft or edit a document on my laptop. It doesn’t seem taxed if music is playing.  I have 100mbps fiber, so more than enough bandwidth.  I’m more concerned about taxing the radio and having at least one end of the chain wired. And independent of my laptop with potentially better SQ.  Is it worth three grand?  *shrug*

Messages In This Thread
RE: General thoughts, cost/benefit of Roon Nucleus and Nucleus+ - by awkaplan - 12-Feb-2019, 11:38