Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General thoughts, cost/benefit of Roon Nucleus and Nucleus+
(12-Feb-2019, 22:50)David A Wrote:
(12-Feb-2019, 13:36)awkaplan Wrote: Perhaps I can get AT&T back out here.  Using iPhone primarily to control Roon.  Something has to be going on from my modem through the wiring in the wall to the Devialet to cause that performance issue.  Furthermore, I’d need a usb dongle for Ethernet.  If I can get the desk area wired as well as the issue solved with the Devialet-area outlet, that would be ideal.  But if the preexisting wiring is poor, I’m out of luck as the alternative is a mess of wires going across rooms.  I’m starting to think a wired NUC/Nucleus would take some pressure off the wireless router/modem, or a different wireless router, or both.  I just need to find the correct one with internal software that shows real-time dBm values.

It may be your in wall cabling but you say "Something has to be going on from my modem through the wiring in the wall to the Devialet to cause that performance issue". You're wrong.

Something MAY be going wrong between the modem and the Devialet but the signal path also has a section from your MacBook to your modem and the problem MAY be there. The problem can be with anything in the signal path between your MacBook and the Devialet and so far you've given no reason for discounting the MacBook to modem section of the signal path.

You seem to be jumping to one conclusion without any solid evidence but when it comes to problem solving network problems it's a lot better to start by eliminating possibilities one by one. If you start by being convinced that the problem is in one area and it isn't, you're going to keep running up against a brick wall checking and rechecking the area you're convinced is the problem and every time you recheck it is wasted time and effort which may well have found and solved the problem if you simply looked at each device and section of cabling one by one in order.

True, I came to that conclusion because running full WiFi is subjectively OK and objectively (transmit errors logged) fairly decent.  So if laptop -> modem works there, why would it become a problem once ethernet becomes involved?  Perhaps an issue with the switch in the modem?  It may take me a day, but I can post pictures of the distribution box, cables, as well as the jacks to give a better idea of what the ecosystem is like.  I'm surprised the ethernet wasn't just turnkey—this is a 2017 building.

Messages In This Thread
RE: General thoughts, cost/benefit of Roon Nucleus and Nucleus+ - by awkaplan - 12-Feb-2019, 22:58