Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound comparison Devialet Roon input vica Devialet with separate streamer with Roon
(21-Feb-2019, 11:41)Toca Wrote: I have now done all the software upgrades needed and done an AB testing with the Devialet Roon input connected with Ethernet cable to a switch then to my QNAP NAS, and compared this to my existing Auralic Aries Streamer (the version with upgraded PS) which is connected to Devialet Pro 1000 with an USB cable.

Both inputs are connected to the same QNAP NAS with a Roon Core Server "ROCK" installed, and I have integrated TIDAL through the Roon Software.

To my big surprise I experience that the soundstage is much better/clearer and more depth and dynamics on the Auralic Aries Streamer. When I switch to the Devialet Roon input, I feel that the music sounds poorer, less soundstage compared to the Auralic Aries set up.

Have anyone of you tested like described above, and what is your experience so far with Devialet Roon set up?

You have a much more resolving system compared to mine, but I did notice a difference in sound when I switched from using my laptop (i7) as my core to the dedicated NUC connected via ethernet using AIR.  I briefly was convinced the laptop sounded better, and perhaps it did—someone suggested the NUC needed a bit of burn-in time.  What are your QNAP NAS specs? 

Before, the wifi <-> wifi arrangement sounded great, but was very taxing on my router.  I experience zero dropouts or aberrations now, and am now experimenting with better-shielded network cables to see if there's improvement to be had.  I still use WiFi to connect to my Expert Pro.  I regularly monitor my network and have minimal (<1%) packet loss.  After the firmware upgrade, I noticed a general improvement in sound quality that is hard to describe.  I still prefer the sound of AIR vs. RAAT.  Bits aren't just bits, possibly.  Your upgraded PS may have something to do with it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sound comparison Devialet Roon input vica Devialet with separate streamer with Roon - by awkaplan - 21-Feb-2019, 11:57