Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archimago’s blind test - Do digital audio players sound different?
I see Archimago has just released his 3rd part where he elucidates the results:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/05/bl...gital.html

I was one the the possibly five Devialet owners to do the test (the D440 /ProAc D40R in the listing, only 39 amps are mentioned, so there must be duplicates) and found the differences quite small and hard to discriminate , especially between my first 2 choices.    

My final vote was 1: C Oppo UDP-205 ,       2 : B iPhone 6,         3: D Sony SCD-CE775 SACD/CD player ,       4: A ASRock Z77 motherboard.

Echoing maxijazz, I DO like the sound of MQA, so it appears the minimum phase filters win out for me, as I preferred the iPhone over the Sony SACD Player. 

In the final analysis of 101 submissions, among the 70% who believed they could detect a difference,  the order for listeners  > 41 years old (which I am )  was C, D, B, A  - most favouring the Sony SACD Player over the iPhone 6. However Archimagio only calculates the vote for the last placed ASRock Z77 motherboard  to be statistically significant (@95%), so it is a great pity more people did not do the listening test.

Generally over the years when listening to new equipment for possible purchase at home, I have found the differences to be larger than I heard this time among these 4 devices. Perhaps the limitations of the experiment - listening to music D/A converted then reconverted on a pro grad A/D , then downloaded and D/A converted again before final amplification, may serve dampen the differences between devices. Or maybe D/A conversion has reached the point of diminishing returns. Overall a very interesting experiment none-the-less and thank to @thumb5 post alerting me to the test.
iTunes & TIDAL HiFi --> ROON on iMac --> ROON RAAT over Ethernet --> D440 Pro-->  ProAc  D40R floorstanding speakers (SAM)
Also:  Linn LP12/Ittok turntable Cables: Nordost Shiva power, Nordost Flatline2 speaker cable

Dublin,  Ireland

Messages In This Thread
RE: Archimago’s blind test - Do digital audio players sound different? - by Markpd - 18-May-2019, 19:22