Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Devialet produce "alive" music?
(08-Apr-2019, 16:57)Damon Wrote: @Alve
Thanks for the post. One thing comes to mind about the Pro / CI series; some have had a feeling that these amps present the midrange and vocals differently than the older Expert series. It can seem less pronounced, and that a singers voice does not come to the front. I remember that I had that reaction too, when my 120 became a 220, and I was listening to one of my favorite Sarah Vaughan recordings. Ultimately I came to appreciate the realism that came with the extra detail and closeness. By closeness here, I mean hearing more of the nuances and subtle variations in the voice, even if it was not so far 'out' from the speakers. That feeling of 'hearing into the music' is what I was trying to explain, in part, with my overloaded post above. I know that you did not start with an Expert and upgrade, but I think that the Pro series may not be the amp that will put the singer in your lap, so to speak.

I like the Devialet presentation, but I can fully understand that other amps may give a more mid-forward sound, and that may be what you are after. The characteristics you described in your first post include the things that many of us like about the Devialet but I would not argue that the Pro CI sound does not really push voices to the front. If the SF Amati doesn't do it, perhaps trying a different amp is worthwhile. Some thing from Audio Research, with a tubed preamp? Possibly? I don't know this speaker, but my expectation would be that mids and vocals would be quite rich with and SF.

Thank you Damon,

I have taken my D220 to my friend’s system and listened and compared. Well, the D was I would say cleaner, a bit more detailed, but did not make as good, large and deep sound stage, and the vocals were just like in my system. When I speak of live vocals, I’m not saying voice in front. It is maybe a slight part of it. It is the timber of voice, sort of a “soul” to it that makes it perceived as live. I don’t know how to discribe it. The sound of Devialet seems to stay with most of the speakers. Well, however, Amati did give the wow effect, but I did not compare with other amps. My friend has older top monos from celo and infinity RS speakers 
Our chat Members report vast improvements In sound stage and imaging going to D440. Maybe, I will be able to borrow a second d220 to try it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Vandersteen 5A, d220 pro CI , Dyrholm Audio x series cables all the way, qnap 451+,Mac mini Audirvana, dedicated circuits. Moscow Russia

Messages In This Thread
Does Devialet produce "alive" music? - by Alve - 04-Apr-2019, 13:32
RE: Does Devialet produce "alive" music? - by Alve - 09-Apr-2019, 06:35