Poll: Is your listening room acoustically treated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I have a dedicated, professionally treated room
1.92%
2 1.92%
I have a dedicated room I treated myself
13.46%
14 13.46%
I listen in the living room but it's well treated
14.42%
15 14.42%
I listen in the living room and it has no room treatment but it sound ok because of all the stuff in it
49.04%
51 49.04%
I listen in a living room that sounds pretty ordinary
21.15%
22 21.15%
Total 104 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your listening room acoustically treated?
David,

I perfectly agree with you. I might have just used too little words to express a more complex concept.

Working on the acoustics of a room is for sure dramatically impactful and expensive (in the cost, we should all also factor in the real estate we would subtract to a home if we convert an environment into a dedicated listening room). And it surely is one of the most effective "tweak" for an audio system.
But, of course, the acoustics of a standard living room that would maintain a flexible use can be improved, even if with the constraints of the room shape and respect of the general cosmetics of the environment. I am actually looking forward to receiving a new rug (obviously picked by my wife) to hit two birds with one stone, while I know there's little I can do to "correct" my beautiful, yet audio-not-friendly, asymmetric cathedral ceiling.

My latter point on the isolation has nothing to deal with audio performance, logics of investment and so on. 
On the most disparate forums online, we can all admire gorgeous listening rooms: perfect setup, optimal choice of material for structure and surfaces and freedom to install components that we would dislike in a living room.
A common feature of all of them is the single listening chair: that's my problem. I respect that some audiophiles have a "nook for themselves", but that would just not work for me.
So, perfectly aware that a room I have in my basement could work better as listening environment, I gladly embrace the compromise of listening to music in my living room to enjoy it alone or with my family and in a focused or distracted manner. 

Things might change over time, but for now I'm happier this way Smile
Ultimately, it is just for pleasure and for the love of music!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is your listening room acoustically treated? - by docvale - 19-Feb-2021, 15:30