Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Using Devialet's active cross-over
(14-Apr-2015, 06:13)Music or sound Wrote: As I posted in other threads my new "perfect" digital source is the SDTrans384 board. It uses SD(HC) card, plays wav format  up to 192/24 and is connected to my D250 via SPDIF (BCN - RCA). I finally build a little box around that board and I am using 4 AA NiZn with a TPS7A4701 RF LDO Voltage Regulator
I planning to built a 5V linear power supply  to see if that would sound as good as the battery supply (would be more convenient).

The sound quality is much better than anything I experienced but then I did not tested something like top Melco, TotalDAC or Aurender. As one can see the UI is really minimal!

I just found this thread.  It is quite interesting to me as I have been using active digital crossovers on my Nola Grand Reference loudspeakers.  These are a 2pc per side, 4 way design and I have each driver group directly connected to a stereo amplifier (four modified TacT S2150) which each implement a user-designed/programmed low and/or high pass filter, as well as room correction, target curve adjustment, delay for time alignment at the listening position, and gain matching.  I have the crossovers, all symmetric, set to 50Hz (24 dB/octave), 330Hz (24dB/octave), and 3300Hz (36dB/octave); up to 60dB/octave is supported.

With these speakers this setup was easy to implement, simply by not using the supplied external passive crossover networks and the line level low pass filter for the subwoofers.  Obviously most commercial high end speakers have internalized passive crossovers, so bypassing them involves a major DIY project.

I've used the Devialet online configurator to see what it is capable of... the crossover functionality is okay although no slopes beyond 24dB/octave are available. And of course an external measuring device will be needed to do gain matching and time alignment.  I've read that room correction and other DSP might be added in the future, I hope that is the case.  SAM is nice and simple for speakers in the database, neither mine nor any of the other Nolas are at this time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using Devialet's active cross-over - by ekovalsky - 16-Aug-2015, 16:06