Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK event with Mathieu Pernot - 17 July
I wasn't at the OAC event, but I would love to attend such a gathering. Thanks to the usual outstanding members who reported thoroughly and honestly about the event and the discussions.

Without being there, I cannot say anything relevant about what was said, except to go on what the others posted. Even so, one point that M. Pernot reportedly said does make sense to me; that the Expert Pro series is 'mature' and doesn't need much attention. Yes, I understand the frustrations about the iOS app, and other bugs relating to SAM or esoteric phono settings; all fair targets for criticism. Or that there is much capability in the CI board that is not being fully developed or exploited. On these points I'll accept the outrage of others.

But I too think the amplifier is mature, and stable. It does do the job that it is claimed to do. (try to separate the glorious expectation of rapid, regular, and amazing upgrades promised from the provided amplifier functions delivered). From this standpoint, focus on the Phantom is logical.

I don't understand the thirst for constant upgrades. Few manufactures promise it, which may be wise. Naim has always had a 'buy the next box up the chain' approach. That worked for the old school multi-box system, but they haven't been stellar problem solvers or software developers for their modern networked and streaming products. This I know, from personal experience. With almost any other brand, it would be a 'buy it and forget about it' experience.

Anyhow, what I meant to say is that I get the emphasis on the Phantom. I'm comfy with the Expert status, and I hope that they (Devialet) straighten up and fly right, by which I mean, keep their experienced staff, pay attention to their customers, and not let their advertising be run by persons who know elegant graphics more than elegant amplifiers. I want a long term corporate strategy that protects and serves the outstanding products they make and the relatively small customer base they have. Any hope of growing their company depends on it.

I think it is great that MP does these events at OAC and personally, I'm still very pleased with my Devialet. I'd sell everything else in my system before the amplifier.

Good evening. Now, bach to Bach violin concertos in Gm, D and concerto for violin and oboe in Cm.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK event with Mathieu Pernot - 17 July - by Damon - 19-Jul-2019, 04:57