Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK event with Mathieu Pernot - 17 July
(24-Jul-2019, 21:35)ssfas Wrote:
(23-Jul-2019, 21:40)thumb5 Wrote: @Bwaze and @mdconnelly: for what it's worth, I'm somewhat worried about this too.  A long time (years) ago I raised a support query to suggest to Devialet that they needed to provide some kind of independent configuration tool that did not depend on the continued existence of their web site.  Nothing came of it; I'm not even sure that the support people understood the point I was making.

I've never seen any documentation specifying the config file format and the meaning of all the parameters.  I guess some of them (SAM settings, for example) only make any sense if you know how the DSP algorithms are coded.  Anyway, I'd be wary of tinkering with them manually for fear of programming a configuration that could damage the amplifier or any speakers connected to it - that CRC is a very good idea!

Since it looks like we are not going to get a self-hosted configurator after all (despite the promise last summer), ideally I would like to see Devialet open source the configurator in some form -- whether that be something that can be used to build a self-hosted web site, or compiled into a stand-alone program to run natively on a Windows, macOS or Linux machine.

It's a nice idea that Dev could provide a standalone app that would generate a config file. 

It is however confusing that people raise concern that Dev focus on new products that will make profits that will limit the risk of Dev failing and not providing Expert support.

I believe it was stated a year ago that Devialet was working to create the ability to manage and update configuration files on board.  The start of that effort already exists - in your browser, just go to the IP address of your Expert Pro (e.g. 192.168.1.202).   Amazingly enough, if you use Roon and go Roon's Settings - Audio, then click on the blue info link next to your Devialet Expert Pro, a Roon window will open that includes a link 'Configure Device'.   Click on it and it'll take you to the same 'Devialet Configuration'' window in your browser.

I'm confident that if Devialet ever chose to eliminate their website configurator, they would first complete this onboard Configurator.  But, of course, there are no guarantees and the concern only increases given Mr. Pernot's discussion about Expert priorities (or lack thereof).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK event with Mathieu Pernot - 17 July - by mdconnelly - 24-Jul-2019, 22:09