Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK event with Mathieu Pernot - 17 July
I think it is a bandwidth issue but it's a confusing one.

The fact that it is much more common with 192/24 than lower resolutions definitely points to bandwidth. RAAT 192/24 uses more bandwidth than any other resolution streamed via RAAT and RAAT uses more bandwidth than AIR when streaming the same resolution so that makes RAAT 192/24 the most demanding bandwidth we stream. If it's a problem and lower resolutions are less of an issue or free of issues, that suggests a bandwidth issue.

BUT:

The problem occurs with gigabit ethernet connections. It does not occur with 10/100 ethernet connections to the Devialet RAAT 192/24 mayand it does not occur if one streams to the Devialet via wifi, even it the Roon source is connected to the network via gigabit ethernet. RAAT 192/24 may use more bandwidth than any other resolution we stream but it doesn't exceed the bandwidth that can be streamed via 100 Base-T ethernet connections which is significantly lower than the bandwidth capability of a gigabit connection and since the Devialet has no problems with gigabit connections at other resolutions and can successfully cope with RAAT 192/24 over a 100 Base-T connection, why does it have problems with a RAAT 192/24 signal over a gigabit connection? It can handle the bandwidth required for the musical data, that doesn't change with the speed of the connection, so why does it have trouble with a gigabit ethernet connection with high res RAAT and not with the same high res content via AIR, or more importantly, with the same high res content over RAAT when the connection to the Devialet is wifi and the Roon source is connected to the network via gigabit ethernet?

Yes, the resolution of the data stream and the higher bandwidth demands of RAAT point to a problem with the signal bandwidth but the problem doesn't occur when the Devialet receives exactly the same signal, with the same bandwidth requirements, over a connection which supports a lower transmission rate? The problem doesn't seem to be because the Devialet can't handle the demands placed on it with 192/24 over RAAT, it doesn't have any problem when it receives that over 100 Base-T ethernet or wifi and it also doesn't have a problem with 192/24 AIR (yes, I know that's a lower bandwidth requirement) over a gigabit connection. The question is why RAAT 192/24 over a gigabit ethernet connection should be an issue when a gigabit ethernet connection has no problem working with other streams so it would seem that all of the network reliability requirements are being met and RAAT 192/24 isn't a problem for the Devialet when received over a slower speed connection?

It might be very interesting if we could update the firmware for our amps over a network connection instead of via an SD card. Would there be the problems if the Devialet was receiving the data over a gigabit connection which did not occur if it received the data over wifi or a 100 Base-T connection. There's no way of telling because we can't do firmware updates over a network connection and if we could I think I'd be highly reluctant to try doing one over a gigabit ethernet connection while this problem remains unsolved.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK event with Mathieu Pernot - 17 July - by David A - 27-Jul-2019, 22:47