Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
resetting sound to 35
(24-Jun-2019, 16:13)raph972 Wrote: Given how loud those speakers can get, it's actually a security feature to have them reset the volume to a reasonable default. Your use case is not what the reactors were designed for. If you used the Bluetooth / Spotify Connect / AirPlay inputs from a control device, you could switch back to whatever volume you want immediately from within whatever audio streaming app you chose.
We actually tested for this: people would be very (badly) surprised when resuming playback a day or two after a pretty loud listening session. These people would just have forgotten how loud they set the speakers and get blasted. They overwhelmingly preferred having to raise the volume to reach their expectation rather than having to rush in to lower the volume when it was too loud.
Moreover, I should add that setting the reactor to 100 and then using digital leveling for volume control amounts to reducing the sample resolution and ultimately reduce sound quality, just as for the "optical direct" mode on Phantom Premier.

Your point is fair.  I want to integrate the phantoms into an existing A/V use pattern that my family knows...  I think it would have been prudent to have a virtual switch that just turns them into an active speaker for large installations or integration with automation systems.  The situation at my house is so bad right now that my wife wants me to get rid of all the phantoms (premieres and reactors) because she's fed up with all of the fiddling I need to do to keep everything running.  I have a couple of cases open with Devialet to see if I can get my environment stabilized.  I love my phantoms... I just wish my family would love them as much as I do...

As to the loss of sound quality, I can't tell the difference between my premieres when they were managed by dialog vs optical direct mode.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante

Messages In This Thread
resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 07-Jun-2019, 12:20
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by RMK - 07-Jun-2019, 16:58
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 08-Jun-2019, 16:42
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by raph972 - 24-Jun-2019, 16:13
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 26-Jun-2019, 02:29
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by fgleason - 27-Jun-2019, 07:14
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by fgleason - 28-Jun-2019, 15:08
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 01-Jul-2019, 18:51