Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
resetting sound to 35
(24-Jun-2019, 16:13)raph972 Wrote: Given how loud those speakers can get, it's actually a security feature to have them reset the volume to a reasonable default. Your use case is not what the reactors were designed for. If you used the Bluetooth / Spotify Connect / AirPlay inputs from a control device, you could switch back to whatever volume you want immediately from within whatever audio streaming app you chose.
We actually tested for this: people would be very (badly) surprised when resuming playback a day or two after a pretty loud listening session. These people would just have forgotten how loud they set the speakers and get blasted. They overwhelmingly preferred having to raise the volume to reach their expectation rather than having to rush in to lower the volume when it was too loud.
Moreover, I should add that setting the reactor to 100 and then using digital leveling for volume control amounts to reducing the sample resolution and ultimately reduce sound quality, just as for the "optical direct" mode on Phantom Premier.

I think you have good points but what I am hearing, and very much agree with, is an app is a stunningly bad interface for volume control.  So much so that the app pictures with the faux volume control knob says to me the marketing department agrees.

Why is reducing the sample resolution before the signal gets to the Reactor any different from reducing the sample resolution inside of the Reactor?

Does preserving sample resolution really matter when compared to the alternative of using a lossy streaming service as source?

Messages In This Thread
resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 07-Jun-2019, 12:20
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by RMK - 07-Jun-2019, 16:58
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 08-Jun-2019, 16:42
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by raph972 - 24-Jun-2019, 16:13
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 26-Jun-2019, 02:29
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by fgleason - 27-Jun-2019, 07:14
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by fgleason - 28-Jun-2019, 15:08
RE: resetting sound to 35 - by njaiswal - 01-Jul-2019, 18:51