Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Load resistance and capacitance for 120 and 140 pro?
(15-Jun-2019, 19:54)K4680 Wrote:
(15-Jun-2019, 14:49)mjledme Wrote: Hi just to see if anyone knows the default load resistance and capacitance for both MC and MM cartridges in 120 and 140 pro?

I understand that the phono stages in these two models are less advanced and configurable than the higher models in which the load resistance and capacitance can be set manually. But since they can be used as phono stage for both MM and MC cartridges, there must some default (maybe fixed?) settings.

My guess is:

For MM cartridge: load resistance should be 47Kohm, capacitance unknown...

For MC cartridges: load resistance somwhere between 100 to 200 ohm? capacitance unknown...

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

PS: I emailed the customer service and the reply is: upgrading so you can see the settings...didn’t address my question at all...

Hi, but she also has pitfalls.
Thus, the WiFi module interfered with rhythmic popping the phono mode, as soon as it was
was looking for a radio partner.
We put it without further ado
Silent, which ended the spook.
Nevertheless, MM sound customers sounded - we put Orto-
fons Vinylmaster Silver as well
the Virtuoso V2 from Clearaudio - quite dark;  not undynamic, but slightly cloudy, tough, as if braked, while MC scanners were completely free, disengaged and played with their usual freshness.
If we initially suspected a high capacity to protect against RF intrusion, which leaves MMs busy and dull, as culprits, the laboratory showed that the phono input has hardly any capacitive load.  Rather, probably the low input resistance is responsible for the MM-Schlappe.  At just over 16 kilohms, it is well below the "norm" of 47 kOhm.
When switching to MC, this value did not change - the two larger models are adaptable in terms of resistance and capacitance - so one should choose a system that does not become glazed or pointed at such comparatively high termination.  "Excerpt from the German magazine Stereo.  The le 120 was tested. Rolleyes

https://www.audio-components.de/assets/U...tereo2.pdf

Hi thank you very much mate! Wish I knew German so that I can understand the rest of it lol. 

So basically it’s 16 kOhms and almost zero pF for both MM and MC cartridges?

In this case, won’t the sound be distorted? Take my Benz Micro Ace SL for example (0.4mV output MC, impedance 120 Ohms, recommended loading range greater than 100 Ohms). On my other system with aphono preamp and tube amp, I set the loading at 120 Ohms as a rule of thumb (10 times the cartridge impedance). In Devialet 120 Isn’t the 16 kOhms too high for my 100 Ohm cartridge? Although theoretically it’s greater than 100 Ohms? Won’t the ideal frequency response be distorted especially in the higher frequencies?

From http://www.extremephono.com/Loading.htm

Fig. 1 shows the effect of varying the resistive load on an MC cartridge. The potential deviation from a linear response by a wrong loading resistance can be massive.

[Image: Loadin1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Load resistance and capacitance for 120 and 140 pro? - by mjledme - 16-Jun-2019, 00:28