Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Phantom Gold - valve like treble
(21-Jun-2019, 12:49)Jamington2004 Wrote: Had my first good listening session for a while and am in love with the treble on vocals  / cymbals etc. It sounds so smooth and silky the only way I can think to describe it is “valve / tube like”

But no vinyl / tube stage / valve anything here - just streaming through a shed load of digital cables and into the phantoms!! Smile (iPhone to chromecast audio into optical switch out to Dspeaker Anti-Mode our to dialogue, power line to Phantoms)

Not had extensive valve experience would anyone agree with that description of the wonderful treble these speakers have?

Cheers
Jamie Smile
 I agree with this. My old system is a tube amp with two tall high efficiency horn speakers with big dual boomers. 
When I listen to it on the same source (spotify connect high quality) the sound of the phantom golds, when playing them side by side playing the same music is strikingly similar: smooth and silky, as you say, never aggressive or tiring even at high frequencies.
It can sound aggressive if the source is low quality in the first place, though...
The difference is I don't have to mess with tube swapping, or cable swapping. I have the tube sound without the tube worries.
And the bass has even more muscle with the phantoms. Plus, it seems that the longer you use them, the better they seem to sound. Now most of the time the old tube system is collecting dust...
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom Gold - valve like treble - by eniriop - 26-Jun-2019, 04:10