Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
(07-Jul-2019, 14:51)thumb5 Wrote:
(07-Jul-2019, 14:41)RebelMan Wrote:
(07-Jul-2019, 11:27)thumb5 Wrote: Interesting post, @Confused.  It agrees nicely with what Roger Sanders says in his white paper (which I know I've linked to before).

It appears Roger is making some pretty big assumptions.

Which assumptions in particular do you think invalidate his analysis?

For one, he is assuming... "audiophiles usually are using underpowered amplifiers and are therefore listening to clipping amplifiers most of the time". Which audiophiles?

For another, he is assuming... "conventional, direct-radiator (not horn-loaded), magnetic speaker systems of around 90 dB sensitivity, require around 500 watts/channel to avoid clipping"  Which speakers?

I don't claim that he is invalidating his analysis with the assumptions he is making but he is making them in order to produce his analyses.

thumb5 Wrote:
(07-Jul-2019, 14:41)RebelMan Wrote: Once again he, like other marketing geniuses, are taking things out of context.  At what point is 500W needed?  He doesn’t specifically say.  He is also pro solid-state so it stands to reason he would be biased in his remarks.  Although I am too, he is making a bigger case against SET amplifiers not other quality solid-state amplifiers making his point less considerable in general.

As I read it, his analysis about power requirement is based on straightforward, easily-verified measurements and does not depend on whether the amplifier is solid state or valve.  Calling Sanders a "marketing genius" is clearly intended to be derogatory, and does your argument no favours.

When I checked it seemed pretty evident to me that the man was peddling his wares.  You don't think that some bias was a motivating factor in his discussion? 

thumb5 Wrote:
(07-Jul-2019, 14:41)RebelMan Wrote: I suppose if I needed a little more confidence in my system I would lean on this white paper too.

What exactly are you referring to?

You seem to put a lot of stock in this white paper, especially if you have made reference to more than one time.  It's pretty easy to say "yeah we need more power and this white paper proves it".  Really?  How about trying this one on for size...  If you are so willing to stand by your guy then do what he says.  That's right, do it!  Get an oscilloscope and measure your system just as he describes AND I'll do it too!  Then come back here and describe your system, the room your system is in, how you listen to music (where you sit, how loud you listen, your choice of music) and report what you learn.  I am more than willing to work with you to establish some working parameters that we can both agree on and share.  Are you up for it?
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by RebelMan - 08-Jul-2019, 00:18