Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
(08-Jul-2019, 10:37)Antoine Wrote: Just to note; in case of our Devialets the sheer number of variables is even larger and makes this discussion even more difficult as their internal microprocessors in the power supply and output stages run code determining the voltage and current limits short and long term. It’s certainly possible these code imposed limits (said to be there for thermal management and accounting for the differing heat dissipation capabilities of the different cases) could affect SQ e.g. when comparing a 170 vs. 240 or any model. The smaller models like the 130 have a different class D output stage.

You are correct, there are some limits that were imposed and across the board but it is unlikely that they impact sound quality.  The limits are mostly thermal and functional (for dual-mono output) and I also suspect for some cost savings too.  The 130 and 140 are using different Class-D amplifiers that limit their output current to 1.5x the power factor but they are not of an inferior quality.  You could liken it to different types of batteries, say D and C.

What does concern me are the limits placed on the 220.  It is not as linear as the 130/140.  Output at 2 ohms is limited to 330W.  I have been trying to confirm this but if it is in fact true then the 130 and 140 are more powerful than the 220.  Surprise!
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by RebelMan - 09-Jul-2019, 09:31