Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
@David A I roughly listen at the same peak level as you (97dB) in my case on classical programs having DR between 10 and 22 dB, meaning that my average SPL is around 80dB.

That means that the peak power I need (given two speakers at 88dB/W @ 1 meter and a listening position of 2.5m) is 25W. That is consistent with the fact that I’m listening with a volume setup to -8dB (I was using -6dB when i had the D120) [220W at 6 ohms is 165W at 8 ohms and -8 dB is 26W] [120W vs 220 is about -2dB so very consistant between the two]

So is the extra power I have providing any benefits?
I would say not much if SAM is turned off.
But SAM changes the equation and benefits from any extra power you can have, so this is where having 165W for SAM to play with instead of 90 in the case of the D120 made an appreciable difference.

So bottom line, I believe the statement that the ideal amplifier being one of infinite power is mostly true in the context of SAM, not necessarily in a “normal” use of an amplifier.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by Jean-Marie - 14-Jul-2019, 08:04