Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
@Confused ,

An addition to my post above:

To illustrate what I was saying about the bass frequencies driving the power needs, take a look at the amplifier arrangement for Devialet's active setup for the Vivid Audio G1 Spirit speaker system. It's a 4 way speaker with drivers covering 29 to 220 Hz, 220 to 880 Hz, 880 to 3.5 kHz, and 3.5 to 33 kHz. The overhead slide from Guillaume's post about the Devialet presentation at Munich 2018 indicates 2 x 1000 watts being devoted to the lower 2 driver ranges and 2 x 250 watts being devoted to the upper 2 driver ranges. That's 4 times the power being used to cover from 29 to 880 Hz as is needed to cover the range from 880 to 33 kHz in what one would assume is an equally satisfactory manner since they don't seem to have been constrained by a need to stint on the number of amplifiers being used. Judging by the slide, it actually looks as if that is the number of amps being allocated to each of the 2 speakers.

As I said, it's the low frequencies where the biggest demand on amplifier power gets made. That setup is using 2000 watts to cover an 851 Hz range from 29 to 880 Hz and 500 watts to cover a bit over a 32 kHz range from 880 Hz to 33 kHz. I suspect that the reason for using that much power for the range from 880 Hz on up is that the total arrangement simply uses a stack of 250 Pros and they wanted to use the same amps throughout the the whole arrangement in order to ensure that the volume control worked identically across all of the amps and they didn't have to come up with some complicated arrangement of matching the output levels of amps with different peak outputs for a given volume setting on a single remote. I think they might well have been able to give less power to the upper range than the 2 x 250 watts and still had ample power reserves while matching the peak output from the 2 lower frequency ranges.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by David A - 20-Jul-2019, 08:05