Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
Resurrecting a "somewhat finished" thread to some degree.

I just came across an online calculator which allows you to calculate the peak SPL you can get from a given amp and speakers. It takes into account both amplifier power and speaker sensitivity, the 2 big elephants in the room, and it also takes into account the number of speakers and the room itself to some degree (listening distance and a rough estimate of speaker location relative to the walls which affects the support the room gives). I tried it with my details and it gave an answer which was pretty close to the results of the calculation I did for peaks of 95 dB with my speakers in post #66. I said there that I would need roughly 12.6 watts to deliver 95 dB peaks and the calculator came up with 12.6 watts delivering 94.6 dB peaks which is pretty close since I was fudging my calculations a bit with some rough guesses.

The calculator also says that I can expect to achieve 105.1 dB peaks from 140 watts output, the rated output of my 140. We could add a bit to that because my speakers are 4 Ohm rather than 6 Ohm and the amp will deliver a little more into 4 Ohms than 6 Ohms and we could adjust for that if we had figures for the 140's output into resistances other than 6 Ohms.

So, for those inclined to crunch the numbers and wanting an easy way to do it, here's the link to the calculator: https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Have fun crunching numbers.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by David A - 08-Aug-2019, 21:42