Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
I expect the calculator is basing its power calculations on sine wave inputs, which might not be a good guide to perceived sound levels for music (depending on the type of music, usual caveats apply, etc.).

At least, it would be helpful if the calculator explained what it was assuming about the input, and whether it takes things like Fletcher-Munson into account - presumably it must do otherwise it wouldn't seem to be particularly useful in practice.

Having downloaded the spreadsheet that the on-line calculator uses, it seems not to "know" anything about music or Fletcher-Munson. The spreadsheet calculation is simply taking the speaker sensitivity and amplifier power and making a correction for listening distance and number of speakers.

On reflection, I suppose if you're interested what an SPL meter might read then this calculation should work if the speakers have a reasonably flat frequency response. But does it tell us much about perceived volume when listening to music? Not sure that I can convince myself that it does...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by thumb5 - 11-Aug-2019, 11:31