Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
(25-Aug-2019, 14:27)thumb5 Wrote: Sorry to be blunt, but you are simply wrong about this.

As its title says, the video you linked to above explains why the relationship between RMS and peak value of a sine wave is a factor of root 2.  That means a sine wave of amplitude (value) 1 has an RMS value of ~0.707, or conversely if the RMS value is 1, the peak value (amplitude) is ~1.414.  Since power depends on the square of the value, the relationship between RMS and peak power is a factor of 2.

Since you are apparently fond of tutorial links, here's one for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_...rage_power.  Note that for a sine wave both Irms and Vrms are ~0.707 times the respective peak values so when multiplied together (P = IV) the RMS power is a factor of 0.707 x 0.707 = 0.5 times the peak.

I see where the problem lies.  To be equally blunt, there is NO SUCH THING as RMS power yet that was the terminology that was being tossed around here which made no sense to me.  There is (really) ONLY peak power and average power.  Instantaneous and continuous power also exist but we are not interested in the former and we (I am anyway) are assuming that continuous power is the same as average power for this discussion.  People are confusing RMS power to equal average power which it absolutely does not, because there is no such thing as RMS power.  I interpreted peoples use of term RMS power to be more than average power and therefore did not agree that peak power was twice RMS power which again it does not!  Peak power is twice average power, but that's NOT what was being said.  Let's be careful with our wording, DO NOT USE RMS power, there is NO SUCH THING.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by RebelMan - 26-Aug-2019, 21:24