Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much amplifier power do you really need?
(26-Aug-2019, 23:39)RebelMan Wrote: The problem is people believe more power will sound better because some joker says it will and they have no reason to question that. 

That joker would be my ears. And that difference is most noticeable at lower volumes.

I can try to explain (to myself as well as anyone else here) why there is a difference but I'm not sure how accurate that would be. Let's just give it a try:
Say you want to travel on the freeway at 100 kilometres per hour. You probably only 'need' 50 horse power in your car to achieve that. But if you had a nice 6 litre V8 you're going to be doing that 100 kilometres per hour a lot more quietly than with the little 50 horse power car. A more powerful amp might sound more 'relaxed' at any give volume.

Below is a link to a video John Darko made at HEDD Speakers> Klaus Heinz explains how he can't technically measure dynamic capabilities of a speaker @ 22 minutes in. It might be the answer to the question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJu7OUS...-184647161
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much amplifier power do you really need? - by Pim - 27-Aug-2019, 02:40