Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono stage hiss - Measurements
I am a long way from being an expert in making a recordings from the Devialet's USB, but I have successfully made a recording and sent it to Mathieu Pernot, so in response to the posts above I will try to do an easy "step by step" guide.  I am sure that there are others on this forum that know far more about using Audacity than I do, so this is a kind of idiots guide, written by an idiot.  However, it worked for me, and it should help other beginners to at least get going.  If there are more competent users of Audacity than myself out there, please feel free to chime in with tips and advice.  I can only cover the very basic stuff with my level of knowledge.

I used Audacity software to make the recording, this is widely recognised as being one of the best "free" software packages.  So the first step would be to load Audacity onto your PC or laptop, it is available in Mac or Windows versions, so this should suit most people.

https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

As the idea of this test is to make a recording of the noise from your Devialet's phono stage only, not the noise that your very sensitive turntable, tonearm and cabling might be picking up, you should temporarily remove the turntable's RCA connectors from the phono input of the Devialet.

You then need to connect you Laptop to the USB connection of the Devialet, and select the phono input on the Devialet.

Assuming you are using a Windows Laptop of PC, you need to check that the Devialet "Expert Pro USB" is shown as the input in "Sound Settings", see below:

If you then open Audacity, in the pull down menu on the top tool bar you need to set the "microphone" input to "Expert Pro USB Audio", see below.  (or Expert USB Audio if you don't have a Pro)  

In the bottom left hand corner of Audacity there is a pull down menu that lets you select sample rate, I used 96000Hz.

Now you are ready to make the recording.  Simply hit the red circular record button on the top toolbar and you will see the recording commence, let it run for maybe 15 or 20 seconds, that is all you need.

Then select "File", "Export Audio" and you can save the recording as a .WAV file.  That's it, you have made a recording of whatever hiss or noise your phono stage may have.

You can play the recording back in Audacity, you may need to turn the volume up a bit, but if you do you should hear a lovely recording of phono stage hiss.

You can analyse the recording yourself in Audacity, or maybe cheat like I did and email your recording to someone who can use Oceanaudio, see the various posts at the start of this thread.

The recordings can be sent to Mathieu Pernot at Devialet:

mp@devialet.com

Note that if you have just made a 15 or 20 second recording, you should be able to send the recording file as a simple attachment.  The file size will be relatively small, so no need to use DropBox or similar.

When you sent your recordings to Mathieu, make sure you mention your phono stage settings used when making the recording, for example RIAA 1976, 0.39mV, 30 ohms, or whatever loading and gain you might be using.

So that is my idiots guide written by an idiot.  Unfortunately this only covers use of Audacity on a Windows PC.  I am sure that the procedure will be similar on a Mac, but I do not have a Mac available to try this at the moment.  Maybe Mac users could advise any subtle differences to the procedure.

I hope this helps, and good luck if you decide to give this a try. 
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Confused - 28-Jul-2019, 10:21
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Greg - 21-Sep-2019, 22:35
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Confused - 23-Sep-2019, 11:18
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 23-Sep-2019, 22:34
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 27-Sep-2019, 11:24
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 10-Oct-2019, 23:52
Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Waiski - 19-Oct-2019, 17:38
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 19-Oct-2019, 18:05
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 11-Nov-2019, 16:24
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 17-Nov-2019, 01:50
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by f1eng - 17-Nov-2019, 17:14