Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono stage hiss - Measurements
Finn Wrote:Any hear from devialet about the Hiss ploblem?

Yes and no.  As I mentioned in post #31, Mathieu Pernot asked me to make some additional recordings.  Mathieu sent me an email last week to say that he had been very busy recently, but that he hoped to analyse my recordings next week.  When I here something further from Mathieu I will advise.

With that said, I do not think this will progress the issue much.  Mathieu has already advised that he thinks the performance of MY phono stage is excellent.  Add to that, I am someone who thinks that the level of hiss is "not too bad".  Not ideal, I would prefer silent, but for me it is acceptable.

So this leads us back to @thumb5 's comments in post #33, in particular his point b).  So what is essential to this issue is for those that feel that the level of hiss is unacceptable (yourself, @Greg, others ) make a similar recording for analysis.

As an open offer, if anyone who feels that the level of hiss is unacceptable makes a recording, I would be more than happy to make a recording using my phono stage using identical settings for gain and loading etc.  This would start to build data to establish if there is any significant variance between individual phono stages.

Furthermore, Thumb5 has found some excellent free software for analysing the recordings:

https://www.sonicvisualiser.org/

This can produce analysis graphs / plots that are pretty much as good as Mathieu's Adobe Audition.  So, if those experiencing unacceptable hiss can provide a recording, I can make an equivalent recording, and we have the means to do a meaningful analysis.  At the very least, this will provide some hard data and provide a good indication of the nature of this problem.

Frankly, in the absence of the above, this issue is going absolutely nowhere. Sad

So over to you guys!  Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Confused - 28-Jul-2019, 10:21
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Greg - 21-Sep-2019, 22:35
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 23-Sep-2019, 22:34
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 27-Sep-2019, 11:24
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 10-Oct-2019, 23:52
Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Waiski - 19-Oct-2019, 17:38
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 19-Oct-2019, 18:05
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 11-Nov-2019, 16:24
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Confused - 12-Nov-2019, 15:06
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 17-Nov-2019, 01:50
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by f1eng - 17-Nov-2019, 17:14