Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono stage hiss - Measurements
Sorry, don't check in this often!
The distortion levels are very dependant on setup and cartridge choice but the levels in Mathieu's graph are fairly typical of a good quality cartridge. The Devialet distortion level is so much less than this all the distortion is coming from the record player.
The noise levels too don't look unexpectedly high to me either. Perhaps it is the frequency content of the noise which people are noticing???
It would be interesting for those concerned about it to compare recordings of the Devialet phono stage direct with another of a different stage connected to an analogue input to compare the noise plots.
I use a low output Ortofon A90 with its matching T3000 transformer with mine an have no hiss problem. I found the Devialet D-Premier phono stage better than the Goldmund PH2 but haven't compared them using the O d'A since I am completely happy with the phono input when I play LPs.
Sorry not to be more help, but that plot shows vinyl noise and distortion at the expected level for me.

Edit:
I should add that whether I use my conventional speakers or my 109dB/watt horns if I set the Devialet volume control at a normal to loud listening level I can only hear noise with my ear near the speaker, none from my listening chair, and the vinyl noise which starts when the stylus drops into the groove is much louder than this so in my system I don't have the complaints others do.
I don't play LPs that often though either.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Confused - 28-Jul-2019, 10:21
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Greg - 21-Sep-2019, 22:35
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 23-Sep-2019, 22:34
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 27-Sep-2019, 11:24
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 10-Oct-2019, 23:52
Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Waiski - 19-Oct-2019, 17:38
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 19-Oct-2019, 18:05
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 11-Nov-2019, 16:24
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by Finn - 17-Nov-2019, 01:50
RE: Phono stage hiss - Measurements - by f1eng - 17-Nov-2019, 17:14