Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Phonostage Recommendations?
(20-Aug-2019, 17:42)Dev_Steve Wrote:
(20-Aug-2019, 00:14)Greg Wrote:
(19-Aug-2019, 19:52)Dev_Steve Wrote: Hi All,

We're all familiar with the sonic deficiencies of the Devialet phonostage with low output MC cartridges. I have a LP12 with an Ortofon Windfeld Ti and while I am currently using a SUT, I'm flirting with getting a tube phonostage. I've seen some very good write-ups on the Allnic H-1202 but I'd be interested in what your recommendations and experiences are with tube phonostages. 

Thanks and looking forward to everyones' input!
I use a hybrid phono stage which is totally satisfying. I’ve got no reason to look at anything else as this stage is totally revealing yet neutral in presentation.

http://www.longdogaudio.com/project/mcj3...ono-stage/

Seriously, you’ll not go wrong with a Nick Gorham designed piece of kit.
Do you find that the use of the separate phonostage results in better sound than what’s in the Expert Pro?
Yes, indeed. External stages of all types offer reduced phono hiss (compared to the Devialet stage) when using a low output MC cartridge, but many phono stages out there are a bit soft and do not have the dynamics of the built in Devialet stage. My last stage was a Primare R32 (retail £950). A lovely piece of kit that was low on hiss but a bit soft compared to the Devialet. In contrast, the Longdog Audio option has all the dynamics, revealing micro detail and subtle sounds but no hiss. The valve based output stage is not worth commenting on because there is no ability to detect any softening of the sound. It just sounds right and makes me want to listen to my LP’s more readily than my streamed service from Qobuz. At £1400, the Longdog is an absolute bargain. I’ve heard poorer performance from phono stages costing many multiples more.

I’ve known Nick Gorham for many years. As @Confused has said, he has an appearance of Father Christmas because of his long silver hair, but he knows his electronics and in my view is probably at the cutting edge of current hi-fi development. He is straight as a die and will never fleece you. One of the really honest guys. I trust him completely as his ears are as good as his electronic knowledge. Anyway, until Mathieu Pernot sorts out the noise from the Devialet, I’ll stick with the best phonostage money can buy.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tube Phonostage Recommendations? - by Finn - 19-Aug-2019, 20:28
RE: Tube Phonostage Recommendations? - by Greg - 20-Aug-2019, 00:14
RE: Tube Phonostage Recommendations? - by Greg - 20-Aug-2019, 22:47
RE: Tube Phonostage Recommendations? - by Greg - 25-Aug-2019, 23:08
RE: Tube Phonostage Recommendations? - by Greg - 26-Aug-2019, 14:30
RE: Tube Phonostage Recommendations? - by Finn - 28-Aug-2019, 14:28