Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB connection and Roon volume control.
I agree that USB and ethernet sound different. My preference is for ethernet but that's just my preference and others prefer USB.

There's a poll thread you may want to look at (https://devialetchat.com/Thread-What-is-...tal-source ). It tries to cover all of the sources/inputs you can use with a Devialet but it isn't particularly clear in places. For example, it offers a choice of computer with ethernet or USB but not music server with ethernet, and choices for music server via Usb or AES/EBU and not by ethernet so it's a little hard reading things into it but given what's there it has 56 people using ethernet from a computer, the only ethernet option, and a total of 41 people using USB from a computer and/or a server (the only 2 USB options) so it seems there is a slight preference for ethernet over USB. The combined total of ethernet and USB users in the poll is just slightly over 50% of the total.

As far as I know, that survey is the closest thing here to providing any sort of info about what the preferred streaming connection is amongst forum members but it has a lot of problems and I don't know what I would take away from it apart from the fact that it seems more people use ethernet than USB. Since there was no "server with ethernet" option, I wonder whether some of the people who voted for "other" were using a server and ethernet. I also wonder how many people using USB from, say, a network streamer also voted "other" because there are no specific options mentioning network streamer devices. There's also the problem that USB and ethernet aren't the only options for streaming from a network connected device (there's Airplay and other wifi options) and people are also streaming from devices other than computers or servers such as tablets, phones, and even from TVs and disc players with network connections and apps for connecting to streaming services plus the choice of method for connection to the Devialet is often made due to factors related to physical convenience rather than purely on sound quality concerns.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: USB connection and Roon volume control. - by David A - 03-Sep-2019, 01:18