Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
struts
(03-Dec-2019, 04:55)ditdot Wrote: Just bought a set of Golds, tree stands, dialogue, & volume control for $5k (Used obviously). Don’t have them yet, but can’t wait!

Any advice on setup in an open floor plan Kitchen/living room?

Also, any other advice, tips, or tricks?

Welcome to the forum @ditdot.  I use Phantom Golds in an open floor plan kitchen/dining room and in my opinion you've made a great purchase!

@ogs is mostly spot on, just a few clarifications:
- I have upgraded to the recently released DOS 2 where you no longer need the dialog for stereo operation.  The whole system is more stable, the mobile client is great, I would say for the vast majority of users this is a big step forward (see my impressions after upgrading here).  There are a couple of things DOS 2 doesn't do yet like low latency mode for AV-syncing but I don't think that applies in your case.  In my opinion the DOS 2 upgrade is a "no brainer" for most people.  Read the caveats on the Devialet site first, but don't be scared off if they don't apply to your use case.  By skipping the whole DOS 1/Spark/Dialog experience you will miss a lot of the things that have had folks here tearing their hair out for years!
- You can stream music from Spotify via Spotify Connect (i.e. from directly within the Spotify app), and Qobuz and Tidal via AirPlay with both DOS 1 and 2.  If you have your own library on a disk somewhere then Audirvana and Roon are both great alternatives, and there are many many more.
- Regarding speaker placement, as @ogs says, these are just regular speakers, which in practice means they will probably sound best where they are domestically least convenient to place.  I have mine on very solid window sills in a bay window in the dining area.  Not optimal (they should ideally be out in the room a ways) but this is very much a living space and not just a listening space and that is what works best for us.  They sound great.  The tree stands should put the tweeters/midrange drivers at about the right height when you are sitting down so use them if you can.  Try to position them so that they are reasonably symmetrically positioned wrt room boundaries and the listening position (as far as possible), and try to avoid placing them too close to said boundaries (especially corners) for best sound staging and to avoid unpleasant bass overload.  If you google "loudspeaker setup" or "loudspeaker placement" you will no doubt find plenty of advice online, most of which is completely impractical in real living spaces!

Yes, there is a LOT to learn here, but you don't need to know it all in order to get going.  Try and keep it simple to start with and then grow into it from there.

Hope this helps!

@struts, thank you very much. I’ll go read the links you posted now. Very insightful, much appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Newbie - by ditdot - 03-Dec-2019, 04:55
RE: Newbie - by ogs - 03-Dec-2019, 17:21
RE: Newbie - by ditdot - 04-Dec-2019, 02:32
RE: Newbie - by ogs - 04-Dec-2019, 09:39
RE: Newbie - by ditdot - 05-Dec-2019, 04:07
RE: Newbie - by struts - 04-Dec-2019, 10:59
RE: Newbie - by ditdot - 05-Dec-2019, 04:16
RE: Newbie - by streamy - 04-Dec-2019, 12:01
RE: Newbie - by ditdot - 05-Dec-2019, 04:18
RE: Newbie - by ogs - 04-Dec-2019, 14:19