Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Absolute Sound disects SAM
I'm sorry but that does not tell me what I'm interested in learning. It shows how a profile is made but what I'm interested in is seeing how the processing which is applied changes as you change the % setting on one hand, ie what adjusting the % does to the signal sent to the speaker while your volume setting remains constant, and on the other hand what happens to the signal as you change volume level while the % setting is kept constant.

What we get in that video, and everything else I've seen from Devialet on SAM, is some sweeping generalisations with no detailed description of what happens to the signal sent to the speaker when the SAM % setting and/or the volume setting are changed. I know how things sound when I make those changes with my speakers but I would like to see how the signal changes, whether the changes with % setting and with the volume setting are strictly linear or whether there is a particular tailored adjustment made which varies from speaker to speaker, and I'd like a more detailed explanation of what is going on when the % setting is set to 0%. In other words, I'd like to have a more detailed understanding of what's going on than I can get from fairly generalised explanations like the one in that video.

This isn't because I think SAM doesn't work or anything like that, I think it works and I am using it at the moment but I have real difficulties with the % setting. Currently I have it set to 0% because I find that even setting to as low as 10 to 15% with my speakers in my room results in tonal changes which cause a hardening to the bottom of the female vocal range and below which I don't like. I'd like to know why I hear that even with a very low % setting but I have no problems with that kind of tonal shift when I set the % to 0%.

My experience is that understanding what's going on with something can often help you to use it more effectively and get better results. I'd like to understand what's causing that tonal shift I hear and the only thing i can think of which would do it is that the % setting is applying a boost to the signal level over a range of frequencies and I'd like to be able to understand what the "shape" of that boost is and how it varies as I change the % setting and as I change my volume setting.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by Pim - 05-Dec-2019, 04:51
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by ogs - 05-Dec-2019, 10:00
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by Pim - 05-Dec-2019, 10:06
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by ogs - 05-Dec-2019, 11:20
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by David A - 05-Dec-2019, 10:17
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by ogs - 05-Dec-2019, 14:15
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by Stino - 10-Jan-2020, 17:48
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by chrisc - 19-Jan-2021, 14:45
RE: The Absolute Sound disects SAM - by Delija - 20-Jan-2021, 02:15