Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT
(11-Feb-2020, 01:59)David A Wrote: Haven't had any issues like that.

RAAT uses more bandwidth than AIR, more data including data back to Roon from the Devialet, and more error checking/correction. Maybe that was the issue.

Can you put the problem ethernet cable in another location, preferably where it will carry an AV signal including video so that a lot of data is being carried but Roon isn't involved? For example I can stream video straight to my TV using apps on the TV, and also via an Apple TV using apps on it. If you can make such a swap, does the cable work in that situation? If not then the cable isn't working properly in 2 separate situations, one of which doesn't involve Roon, so that would mean it's not a Roon or a Devialet problem and the problem would have to be a faulty cable since that's the only thing that would be common to both situations.
 @David A - that's exactly what I've done, and the cable still seems to be working just fine.  My guess is that it still isn't loaded to the extent RAAT loads it.  

What scares/worries me is that Roon allowed me to stream music to my Expert Pro when there was clearly a problem resulting in a very load, distorted sound.  Until this, I would have thought that Roon would have simply dropped my Devialet RAAT zone if there were serious communication issues over the ethernet link.  I'm hoping to get further insight from Roon Support on this (time will tell).

Do you use both RAAT and AIR zones to your Expert Pro?   If so, and if your Expert Pro is off or sleeping and you start up a Roon app, does your RAAT zone show a volume value or does it have to wait until your Expert Pro awakens and you select the zone?   My "memory" would say that the RAAT zone always showed a volume value even when the zone was not being used.  Even when the Expert Pro was still sleeping or set on a different source.   But that is not what I'm seeing now.  But then, I've learned to not put much weight on what I think I remember.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT - by mdconnelly - 11-Feb-2020, 03:06