Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT
@mdconnelly,

If I remember correctly from one of the threads about the original RAAT problem, streaming music via RAAT uses about 10-11 MBps. Streaming UHD video from Netflix uses up to 25 MBps but streaming lower resolution video would use less and I'd expect 1080P to possibly use less than RAAT and high res music.

In order for Roon to not stream music when there's a problem Roon has to know there's a problem. If there's no information getting back to Roon then Roon isn't going to be aware of the problem so it will simply keep doing what it's supposed to do and keep streaming. I tried to find your post on the Roon boards but couldn't seem to find it. Can you post a link to your post there?

I have used both RAAT and AIR to my 140. I normally use RAAT and basically only ever use AIR if I'm experiencing a problem with RAAT. With RAAT, I don't see a volume setting displayed in the Roon app on my iPad until my 140 wakes up. Roon can wake the Devialet up if I tell it to play something while the 140 is off or asleep but I usually don't let it go to sleep, I turn it off when I'm finished playing music. My guess would be that the Devialet can wale up on a request from Roon, like a device can wake up from a signal on a trigger cable, but Roon doesn't know what the amp's volume setting is until the amp has finished booting because the startup volume and also the volume on input switch are both settings which are taken from the config file when the amp is booting. That probably means that Roon has no way of knowing what the volume setting is until the amp is actually ready to start receiving and processing the stream and Roon can't display a volume setting until it gets that data from the amp. I think the volume setting may be retained while the amp is sleeping because it is still on to some degree but I could be wrong on that.

I just checked your top screen capture of the zones display and noticed you were playing Viktoria Tolstoy. It seems we have something else in common besides Devialet, Roon, and RAAT :-) I've only started listening to her recently but I like what I've heard.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT - by David A - 11-Feb-2020, 03:35