Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT
(11-Feb-2020, 17:45)thumb5 Wrote:
(11-Feb-2020, 03:06)mdconnelly Wrote: ...
Do you use both RAAT and AIR zones to your Expert Pro?   If so, and if your Expert Pro is off or sleeping and you start up a Roon app, does your RAAT zone show a volume value or does it have to wait until your Expert Pro awakens and you select the zone?   My "memory" would say that the RAAT zone always showed a volume value even when the zone was not being used.  Even when the Expert Pro was still sleeping or set on a different source.   But that is not what I'm seeing now.  But then, I've learned to not put much weight on what I think I remember.

I just tried this on my system to see how it behaves.  I use RAAT and normally wake up the Devialet from Roon, simply by asking to play something.  There is initially no number associated with the volume icon; if I open the volume dialog immediately, I can see that it says "Fixed volume" initially, which changes to the volume slider (with the configured default volume) when the amp fully wakes up.

That said, I do have a vague memory similar to yours that the volume display used to work a little differently at start-up, and that the volume icon always had a numerical value.

It certainly does work differently and quite consistently with Devialet AIR, but hey, it's working now I'm good.     Thanks for the info!   

What I find a bit strange is that if I wake up my Expert Pro via the Devialet remote and then switch to the Roon Ready input, the remote will correctly show my default volume (-40db) before I hit play.   But if I start my Devialet from my iphone or ipad Roon app, my Expert Pro will show no volume setting for the Roon RAAT zone until I start playing it.   A 3rd scenario occurs when I startup the Expert Pro via another input (say my TV line-in), the Roon RAAT zone will strangely show -42db.  But once I start playing to that zone, it correctly switches to my default volume of -40db.   

Perhaps there's logic to the implementation, but damn if I see it.   Still, it's working well and sounds great so I'm good.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT - by mdconnelly - 11-Feb-2020, 23:30